Reading Group Questions
THE DEAD TRAVEL FAST
- Theodora Lestrange is not the typical Victorian heroine. How does she differ from other women of her time?
- Which of Theodora’s two suitors—Charles Beecroft or Count Andrei—is a better match for her? Why?
- Why does Theodora remain at the castle when events take a dark and frightening turn? Would you?
- Many of the characters have interests that are reflective of their personalities. Discuss how Cosmina’s work with medicinals, Florian’s music, and the count’s passion for astronomy extend their characters.
- Are the strange events at the castle supernatural or are there logical explanations for Theodora’s experiences?
- What elements of classic Gothic literature did you find in this novel?