Reading Group Questions
(March 1, 2014)
Amazon ASIN: B00FNJVSVI
CITY OF JASMINE
- Evangeline Starke is a dynamic young woman with all of the energy and spirit of the 1920s. How does she embody those qualities?
- How do Gabrielís experiences as the saqr change his views on British involvement in Syrian affairs?
- Gabriel and the Lost Boys of the Vespiary did dangerous work during the war. What challenges might they face in adapting to life after the fighting stops?
- Damascus is a city at the crossroads of history. How does the political climate of Damascus in 1920 influence the characters?
- Honour and duty play a strong role in the book. How do the characters view their own responsibilities? How far will they go to satisfy honour?
- Evie and Gabriel are reunited after life-changing events. How have the years in between affected the dynamic of their relationship?
- How does the Badiyat as-Sham, the great Syrian desert, function as a character in the story? What does their time in the desert reveal about Gabriel and Evie?
- What is Evie and Gabrielís potential for a happy ending?