Reading Group Questions
Veronica Speedwell Mystery #1
(September 1, 2015)
A CURIOUS BEGINNING
- Veronica and Stoker were born into quite different circumstances yet they share much in common. In what ways have their paths been similar and how have they varied?
- Curiosity plays an important role in Veronica's decision-making. How would you have handled the choices she made in following her curious nature?
- Why do you think Veronica chose lepidoptery as her pursuit? What are the challenges she faces with this undertaking? How does it suit her personality?
- Veronica is often faced with choosing between logic and intuition. How does she resolve relying on intuition with her scientific nature?
- Stoker has many secrets yet to be revealed. What sort of man do you think he truly is?
- Given the unorthodox nature of their meeting as well as their individual reputations and status, what future do you see for Veronica and Stoker together?
- Did Veronica make the right choice in the way she handled the truth about her family?
- Lady Cordelia and Veronica seem to share a bond based partly on their common experiences. What do you think motivates Lady Cordelia? What challenges do both women face as intelligent, motivated women in Victorian society?
- Describe Veronica's complicated relationship with England.